Thread: Einkorn Wheat
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
barnetmill
barnetmill

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 66,379
Said "Thanks" 110 Times
Was Thanked 319 Times in 202 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Re: Einkorn Wheat

Before you answered I did look it up; apparently it provokes fewer allergic reactions in susceptible people. It will grow well on marginal land and it is still grown today so it must have something going for it. Fortunately I have no known allergies because I have so many more projects that I want to do and can not due to time and I can get buy with cheaper store purchased bread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorSteve View Post
Yes actually, as a food crop but this is year one so I am just learning. It has higher mineral content, more protein (16%-22%), and more beta carotene and grows in tougher conditions than modern wheat.

Most importantly my Sister and her son both have celiac so they are allergic to the gliadin protein that is in modern wheat. Initial testing showed that people with celiac did not react to the gliadin protein in einkorn. So more testing is needed to make sure it is safe for all people with celiac. My sister and her son both tried bread I made from it and they had no reaction at all.

So I am practicing growing einkorn for when my wife and I buy a piece of land. Then we will grow it for the family. Plus it is just fun, I love growing what I eat.
barnetmill is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To barnetmill