View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
GreenFin

Zone: 6a
BananaBucks : 87,667
Said "Thanks" 1,396 Times
Was Thanked 939 Times in 334 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: 10 months of winter - 2 months poor sleddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaRob View Post
Floor is finished and carpeted - so in a potting container. Recommendations? Can't believe the support offered here. Incredible.

Thanks
On the bright side, banana plants don't get as big when grown in containers. The down side is threefold: they're up off the ground so you automatically lose one or two feet of available vertical grow space, the plant will take longer to reach the fruiting stage, and the fruit bunch will tend to be smaller with lower quality fruit. (I've never grown one in a container, I'm just recounting what I've read.)

Regarding the container, note that horizontal space is even more important than depth, since bananas have grass-like roots that run pretty shallow. I think people often recommend the 30-40 gallon sized containers, or if possible, something like 3' diameter and maybe 1.5' deep (which, if my math's right, would be around 80 gallons). Basically the bigger the container, the bigger and better your fruit bunch will be.

There are a number of threads on here discussing container growing, recommended sizing, and ideas for what things would make good containers. If you click on the "Search" button in the blue bar near the top of the page and do a search for the word container, it should call up a list of good threads on the subject. (It's amazing how much great info is archived in this forum. That search function has been a gold mine for me.)

Oh yeah, and I forgot there's a sub-forum for growing bananas in containers. Lots of good threads in there.

www.GreenFinGardens.com

Last edited by GreenFin : 05-04-2012 at 12:44 AM.
GreenFin is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To GreenFin
Said thanks: