Thread: Musa Becarii
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
mnorell

Location: Rancho Mirage, CA (formerly Big Pine Key, FL & Natchez, MS)
Zone: 10a
Name: Michael Norell
BananaBucks : 11,409
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Musa Becarii

I had two plants, one from Stokes, one from Florida, that I placed in pots in full, hot sun. Can't remember which one perished inexplicably, but I believe the one that had a larger rhizome appeared to die back, then suddenly kicked in and started growing. It's now in the ground in a rather shady area, in a slightly raised bed and is about 4 feet tall. It produces its fairly large new leaves rather slowly but has just thrown a couple of pups and seems actually very happy. I wonder if it hates really hot sun and heat about the roots. I'm sure what Steve et al say is inevitable and it will go down early and come up late if at all. But one thing I like about this plant is its foliage, which is particularly glossy, rich lime green (somewhat similar to velutina and 'African Red') and with an attractive reddish stripe down the midrib. Even if it doesn't flower there's something very beautiful and unique to admire it for. But I'm not expecting flowers anytime soon! Though I'm still patiently waiting for my glacially slow coccineas, which have been very difficult to get growing comfortably, to produce either...go figure!
mnorell is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To mnorell
Said thanks: