View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nicolas Naranja
Muck bananas

Zone: 10
Name: Nick
BananaBucks : 460,419
Said "Thanks" 66 Times
Was Thanked 5,663 Times in 1,562 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 7 Times
Send a message via AIM to Nicolas Naranja
Default I finally figured out how to produce big fruit on Nam Wah

It figures that once I had decided to stop growing a variety commercially, I would figure out how to make nice fruit with it.

Over the past month I have been harvesting 8 hand, 45 lbs bunches that have fruit in the 35-40mm caliper range.

Here are my tips:
Keep the mat desuckered to 2 plants
No more than 8 hands to bunch.
Cut everything off after the 8th hand as soon as you can
Deflower the fruit

I had really consistent results with this, the ones I left as untreated checks weren't even worth harvesting. 12 hands of skinny and unfilled fruit.

I've also been harvesting some really heavy Hua Moa managed the same way this month. I had a 45 lbs bunch hit me in the face when I cut it the other day and it hurt.
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors