View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
peterentwistle

Zone: 8b/9a
Name: Peter
BananaBucks : 4,047
Said "Thanks" 115 Times
Was Thanked 56 Times in 23 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 28 Times
Default Re: Hello from Bolton, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree View Post
Welcome from New York City! Good luck with the seeds. I have pretty bad luck growing anything from seeds and banana plants are supposed to be especially challenging from seed.
As for growing edible bananas in the UK I think you will have a bigger problem getting them to grow during the summer than to survive during the winter. In a hot zone 8b you can grow lots of edible bananas such as Sabas Java Blue and Orinocco with some protection as a precaution. In a cool zone 8b Sabas would probably need additional heat to get growing (mine doesnt start growing fast until June when temperatures are consistently near or above 86F (30C). Not sure how Orinoccos handle cool temperatures, but Java blues also like the heat a lot.
Ensetes dont make edible fruit but they do really well in the UK and I have also seen some really large basjoos in climates like the UK also!
Good luck!
Thank you! Yeah, like you pointed out it might zone 8b but our summers probably don't reach the required temperatures for edible bananas. I will keep my eye out for musa basjoo. I don't intend living here forever, so I will bare some of those varieties in mind if I ever move somewhere with warmer summers.