View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 12:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 258,808
Said "Thanks" 6,024 Times
Was Thanked 4,453 Times in 1,894 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Re: Very Rare Variegated Banana Musa "Kluai Nam Wa"

Hey, I did get it, which surprised me a bit. The seller had previously listed it at least one other time (more, I think) for $129.99 so I figured I'd give it a try for the new sale price of $49.99 and, fortunately, I "won". It's not as variegated as some other specimens he's had, but it still looks nice and will serve as a nice backup in case something unmentionable happens to my Ae Ae. The seller says 5-7 days to get here which is nice, but the shipping cost more than the plant! It's coming from Thailand, Joe, so I don't think it will be visiting Denver unless it ends up as lost luggage.

My current plan is to set up an indoor lighting system in my shop which I keep heated in the winter. It's heated with an old stove which I'll put a pan of water on to keep the humidity reasonable. I'll be keeping around 25 potted bananas in my shop so it might be a jungle by springtime. I just hope to have more growth by spring so that I can get more pups and, possibly, some flowering next year. I may then pot up pups and bring them in like the ones I have now in case the mother plants don't make it through the winter of 2008/2009. I won't keep up this practice indefinitely, but I'd like to give as many possible a chance to see how they work out here.

Jarred has one of these but it has not pupped yet. Does anyone else have one that has pupped to give some sort of idea how often the pups are also variegated?

Last edited by harveyc : 09-27-2007 at 12:49 AM.
harveyc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To harveyc