View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Nom

BananaBucks : 33,438
Said "Thanks" 11 Times
Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Is it a bad idea to water bananas with hose water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliboy1994 View Post
What about salt water pool water?
Pool water was filled with the same thing as your tap or hose water, presumably. I've never owned a house with a pool, but I believe people put more chlorine than there already is into the water to kill bacteria. However, this shouldn't be a problem. Tropical plants like Nepenthes have to have RO/DI water or else they will die. This is not because of the chlorine, this is because of the mineral content that their roots cannot handle. Now, if you dumped straight chlorine onto your bananas, it would probably kill them, but the chlorine content in pool water is too low to harm most plants, especially hardy ones like bananas.

Saltwater is a bit more risky. It depends how high the salt content is. I poured saltwater from my aquariums I used to have onto a plum tree in a small planter box to keep it watered every time I did water changes. The salt just kept accumulating and accumulating over time and eventually killed the tree. Now, everything in there dies. The side of the plant box that didn't get as much saltwater on it has some weeds growing in it, but nothing else. So I highly recommend not to water any plants with saltwater. It will kill them in my experience.
Nom is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Nom