View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Darkman
Dirt Master

Zone: 8b/9a
Name: Darkman
BananaBucks : 204,448
Said "Thanks" 9,263 Times
Was Thanked 1,582 Times in 702 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 243 Times
Default Re: Chill hours and hardiness and getting fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturabananas View Post
Or better yet, ask a local expert what varieties fruit reliably in your area.
When you are pushing zones or varieties there are no experts. Just your own thoughts and research! I hope that as I experiment more and hopefully have some success I will be able to advise others in my area. Not that I will be an expert but I will have knowledge that is uncommon in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaT View Post
Seriously though, The large nurseries and breeders don't even have it down 100%.
I of course have to look no futher than my back feild for this to ring true.
(My) Apples; are really great examples(yes, everyone will hear of my apples sonner or later )they are planted widly, and have established "growing zones".
Apples that were bred to survive the harshest winters, And stated to need up to 1000 ch, actully produce(very good fruit!) and thrive with 100 ch..
Apples. Those too I am looking at acquiring. I am actually hoping to create or purchase a multi graft Apple. I was aware that the apple seems to laugh at the chill hours REQUIRED.

How is it with the seven year testing that was done the Apple fell through the cracks in the test?

AS ALWAYS IMHO AND YOUR MILEAGE MAY DIFFER!!!!!!!!

Life - Some assembly required, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Data that analyst twist to support the insane opinions of those that pay them.

Last edited by Darkman : 03-29-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Darkman