View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Olafhenny

Zone: Hardiness Zone 6
Name: Olaf
BananaBucks : 246,041
Said "Thanks" 2,050 Times
Was Thanked 2,012 Times in 876 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 77 Times
Default Seeds for Quất, possibly the most attractive and hardy citrus…

…and the size makes them suitable as indoor plants. Okay, I am finally back from
Vietnam with loads of pictures.
This time I was a “good boy” and did not bring back any plants. My great discovery on this trip was
the Quất, a very attractive
cultivar of the round kumquat family.

Oh, I have noticed that showy little tree before. After all, you cannot miss it if you visit Vietnam
during Tet, and I have done that twice before. But what is different this time, that I spotted this
plant, which was only 15” high form soil level to top of the tip of the highest leaf and sported 15 fruit.

Here are three other pics, not my own, but downloaded from the website, linked at the bottom
of this post:

Of course it was kept at that size by judicious pruning That sparked my curiosity and I did
some i-net searches:

The translation of quất ranges according to translate.google.com from kumquat to blueberry.

This is what I have come up with by going with kumquat through German to French and back to
German where the alternative translation to "die Kumquat" is "Zwergorange" which means in English
'dwarf orange' and that seemed to fit.

That finally led me to the Latin Fortunella Japonica. But the pictures did not match. The leaves are
too large and the fruit are spaced much too far apart.

Finally I ended up with the cultivar Tắc, Hạnh, Quất, Rutaceae. Họ Cam Quưt
Botanic name: Fortunella japonica (Thunberg) Swingle. Hereafter just “Quất”

- reputedly the most hardy citrus fruit, “can withstand -10^C without suffering damage”
- in Vietnam predominantly raised in (smallish) pots.
- from what I can see here (confirmation is difficult, due to language problem), the fruits appear
to stay on the trees for at least six weeks.
Quất info:
quất Tết - T́m với Google

I have some seeds available, if you send me a PM with your address

Last edited by Olafhenny : 03-16-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Olafhenny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Olafhenny
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors