Thread: Hi !
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
H2O
. .** ..

Zone: 8
Name: Jc
BananaBucks : 52,856
Said "Thanks" 101 Times
Was Thanked 304 Times in 148 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 415 Times
Lightbulb Re: Hi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
From the list I see that you have a lot of experience. I am not having good results from the Pomegranate and the Paw Paw.

It is for the Paw Paw that I am currently looking for advice. They do apparently grow wild in some areas nearby to me. What I have are three plants that a nursery (Just Fruits and Exotics) grew from seeds and another from the Escambia Forest that I understand was grown from a cutting by a local nursery. Anyway the instructions provided said to put the paw paws in shade while they were young. I placed them in a drained portion of a forested creek bottom. I suspect the soil is acid. I am planning to cut down the shading trees and maybe fertilize and otherwise amend the soil. What do you or anyone else here use to amend the soil about paw paws?

Thanks
  • PawPaw :
    From seeds keywords are seeds freshness and 3 month cold stratification at 4C (39F). The young plant must avoid direct sunlight for the first 2 years.
    Older PawPaw can bear direct sunlight

I got 3 "one year old" that suffered of direct sunlight because i didn't know.
    Now, a few leafs appears, after a winter at home in pots.

I will try seed from an American store this year.
    They do sell "KY Champion Pawpaw Scions" & others for grafting but with Domestic shipment only. PawPaw Scions can't produce root
    Of course, from seed, i won't have fruits before 7 years i think.
    Here is the link that will help you with more details.

You can move your pawpaw in good soil but keep a little old soil in contact with roots as they do not like transplant that much!
    see Can I transplant trees or root suckers from my woods?
  • Pomegrenade :
    For seeds, easy, but 1 month cold stratification at 4C (39F) is necessary.
    Of course pulp have to be removed before stratification.
    From my experience, germinating the 12th day after sowing in good compost 5 to 10mm deep (0.39 in. max). (Near windows & heat + I put the little pot in a clear bag to keep humidity.= quicker)

Effect of stratification on seed germination and seedling
    performance of wild pomegranate

Last edited by H2O : 02-29-2012 at 11:07 AM.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To H2O
Said thanks: