View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
barnetmill
barnetmill

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 68,703
Said "Thanks" 110 Times
Was Thanked 319 Times in 202 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Re: What did you plant today? (Fruit Trees)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Most nectarines are grown by grafting nectarine fruit wood onto a rootstock that is a cross between plum and peach. These rootstocks have great properties, but their fruits are awful. The seeds of these grafted nectarines grow into plants that resemble the rootstock plant.
i would like to know more about peaches and seeds. I had thought they were like a lot of citrus that can be grown from seed ( Grow Free Fruit Trees )and anyway rootstock should be used for disease resistance.
My big problem with peaches and nectarines are borers. In the coming years I may try to graft onto chickasaw plum since they are resistant to just about anything.
barnetmill is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To barnetmill
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors