Thread: Water suckers
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #80 (permalink)
paulorph

Zone: 6
Name: Paulo
BananaBucks : 31,702
Said "Thanks" 36 Times
Was Thanked 71 Times in 44 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 6 Times
Default Re: Water suckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance1945 View Post
I don't know how I commented on a post from 2008, but I'm guilty. Anyway, it's a good post and I learned from it so maybe someone else will also.
Actually,
does not matter because this is a great thread for people to see. Also, give people a chance to comment on their beliefs on the differences between the two. I agree that the plants are same b/c of dna should be the same (besides possibly AeAe and other genetic mutation). So differences should be related to root system. I also believe that water suckers probably are pulling nutients from parent plant. This does not force root system to form early on. Plant gets big and mother plant cannot provide for the pup. This slows down the pup. Then people cut pup off giving it more shock and slowing down its growth for a while. Water suckers are fighting from the beginning. They are not about to get water and nutrients from soil. So they develop a good root system before they develop the leaf (this is true with non-bananas grown from seed). Once a plant gets a good root system, the leaves will have necessary nutrients to photosynthesize. We cut this off and it has everything it needs. It is not shocked as much when we cut it "umbilical" cord. Next thing is to figure out what causes the difference. I wish I knew. Probably, it is due to limited nutrients from the mother plant. I do believe that a water sucker can be as vigorus as a sword. But they take more time and may fruit before the have the time to completely catch up. This would explain the difference in size of the bunches. This all being said, other argument is that mother plant giving sword lots of nutrients so thats why they dont get leaves (dont need them). This could be true. My problem is why does it force roots. The I just like the other theory more. I think it is more like a plant growing from a seed. Now I not sure myself lol. But think first theory is best in my mind. But this is a great thread.