View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
barnetmill
barnetmill

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 68,348
Said "Thanks" 110 Times
Was Thanked 319 Times in 202 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 37 Times
Default Re: From Northwest Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance1945 View Post
You mentioned that you were 20 or so miles south of the Alabama line. Well, I'm in Alabama, but to your west. I'm at the very bottom of Alabama sw of Mobile, between Grand Bay and Dauphin Island. Any chance of getting some of your persimmon trees?
YES there is.

I didn't realize that they grew here.

When I was a kid we always played a joke on our cousins from the city when they came to visit. We'd tell them how good green persimmons were and then offer them a handful to taste. You ever tasted a green one? They make your mouth pucker and draw up so much you can hardly talk. We thought that was so funny!

Now should be a good time to dig and ship them bare root. If you'll ship me some I'll trade you something. I've got bananas, one very small, real small now, blackberry. Maybe a division of kiwi. I've got passion vine - maypops and I'll have to look around to see what else I'v got that you might want to trade for. Or, I'll outright buy the persimmons from you. Oh, if you think you would ever use it, I've got eatable gingers and later on I'll have some gourds.

The passion vine is a food source, maybe the sole food source, of the Gulf Friterilly butterfly.

Terry
Yes you can have some wild persimmons and wild blueberrys too. Any member here is welcome to any grafting wood that I have also.
I calculate from what you said that you are an hour and half from me if you are able to drive. If you can not drive then I will see what I can do. First, for now the persimmons are leafless. With out leaves identification is not positive and I would wait a month for them to leaf out. They appear to be very hardy and should survive. I was cutting them down as a weed tree until I figured out what they were (they had persimmons on them) and they always grew back. You can come on a weekend when I am here and I will direct you to the woods where they grow and point out the smallones for digging up and potting.
This year I am some what over loaded so do not have the time to ship them. Next yr I will have all of the time in world. Next year I would like to take you up on some of the cultivars that you have.
barnetmill is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To barnetmill
Said thanks: