View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
harveyc
Been nuts, gone bananas

Zone: 9b
Name: Harvey
BananaBucks : 219,307
Said "Thanks" 6,020 Times
Was Thanked 4,452 Times in 1,893 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,785 Times
Default Harvey's Hardy Banana

I traded for this banana a few years ago and it came to me as "Texas Star". I don't know if my trading partner had acquired it directly from the infamous Ty Ty Nursery which coined the name or not. Based on photos I've seen from others, there seem to be different versions of "Texas Star" floating around. I had planted the original pup in a pot and then planted it outside but the following year dug up pups at the end of the year and grew them over winter in my greenhouse. Those pups then got planted into the ground around May of 2010 and I've left them there. They were the first to leaf out of my approximate 25 varieties last year and are way ahead of schedule this year even though we had 29 mornings with frost, beginning on November 8, 2011 and most recently about three weeks ago. We've had some nice daytime temperatures but nights have been fairly cold. I think it go down to around 38F last night. I'm pretty impressed with the growth of this banana and thought I'd share with some photos.

Last edited by harveyc : 02-14-2012 at 02:26 PM.
harveyc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To harveyc
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors