View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
robguz24
Rob

Zone: 11
Name: Rob
BananaBucks : 260,781
Said "Thanks" 1,320 Times
Was Thanked 4,961 Times in 1,080 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Default Re: Ae-Ae bananas on Hawaii Island

Aloha DOMinPuna, I see this is an older thread, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I happened to score one at the BIAN sale a couple years ago and the same seller told me then that he had sold one the previous show immediately, and I got mine within minutes of the doors opening the first night of the sale. I had mine growing in an area of the yard with a lot of red cinder and it was slow growing for several months, then shot up, fruited and fell over before the fruit matured, 18 months total. When I cut it down it had some bore holes in it. I'm new to this, so not sure what the pest was or what to do about it. I got 8 keikis, 5 all white, 3 variegated, and none green. All three of the keikis were moved and all are doing very well. I don't treat them any differently than all the apple bananas I have. They get planted with a mix of soil and cinder, with county mulch on top. They get one of the BEI bananas fertilizers every once in a while. They are all in full sun so they white spots burn. Where I am has a similar climate to you, but we have a'a so it's easy to work with. Good to learn about Troy, I'll have to see what he has.
robguz24 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To robguz24
Said thanks: