View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
sandy0225
Northern Tropics

Zone: zone 5
Name: Sandy
BananaBucks : 353,681
Said "Thanks" 38 Times
Was Thanked 1,801 Times in 682 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Default Don't ever give up on plants with no roots!

I've had this sword ladyfinger pup that I cut off with the shovel when I was digging the middle of October. Normally if I cut them off with the shovel, if there's any white/pinkish corm at the bottom of the cut off part, I keep them and try to root them in a glass of water. I normally have really good success with this. But not this one, it's been sitting in my kitchen in a glass of water in the kitchen window since around 10/15. I change the water a couple times a week when I look at it. I noticed that even though it'd been a long time, it wasn't growing any roots, but it also wasn't getting rotten. It seemed like suspended animation.
So I decided it was time for it to "sink or swim". I decided what it needed wasn't light as much as heat. I just took it and sat it on top of the heat vent with a plate underneath it to deflect the air movement a little bit and waited for a cold snap. Sure enough, after a week of cooler weather when the heat was kicking on a lot, it rooted.
I planted it today. So if you cut off a pup and it's got some corm at the bottom but no roots, maybe putting the cutting in a glass of water on a heat mat would be the trick.

Northern Tropics Greenhouse
1501 East Fuson Road
Muncie, IN 47302
www.northerntropics.com

specializing in bananas, heirloom tomatoes and water gardening plants~
check out our new online store at our website!
sandy0225 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sandy0225
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors