View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #39 (permalink)
venturabananas

Zone: 10
Name: Mark
BananaBucks : 238,812
Said "Thanks" 1,752 Times
Was Thanked 3,968 Times in 1,713 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 39 Times
Default Re: Is this true and typical BSV?

Actually, both bananas I have that have BSV symptoms came from Tony, but as Gabe says, in Mysore subgroup bananas the virus DNA is integrated into the banana's DNA, so it's not like Tony is spreading BSV -- the parent plants had the viral DNA integrated into their DNA before Tony ever got his pups. One plant I obtained under the name "Mysore" the other as "Mona Lisa" but it was clearly misidentified and is also a Mysore. I got the "Mona Lisa" from Tony, but he got it from someone who got theirs from Jon. If you look at Jon's photos of the leaves of the parent plant, you can see the symptoms of BSV (and the purple midrib and leaf undersides indicative of it being a Mysore).

Streaks:
http://webebananas.com/bpix/BP946-18.jpg

Purple leaf underside:
http://webebananas.com/bpix/BP943-67.jpg

It is my understanding that stressful conditions can cause bananas with BSV to exhibit the symptoms of the virus, whereas under optimal conditions, they may exhibit few or no symptoms. Tony's plants exhibited fewer symptoms than mine. Goes to show who treats their bananas better!

For clarification, I am pretty sure that there are non-integrated forms of BSV. In these cases, the viral DNA has not been inserted into the banana DNA. The non-integrated form can be spread my mealybugs (just like aphids can spread the BBT virus). But integrated forms of BSV can't be spread. I think that's the deal.

(BTW, the Pisang Klotek I got from Mitchel has never exhibited symptoms of BSV, even though it is a Mysore group banana.)