View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
MediaHound
Tally-Man

Zone: 10
Name: Jarred
BananaBucks : 1,990,650
Said "Thanks" 3,855 Times
Was Thanked 5,078 Times in 1,352 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,086 Times
Default Re: Some people hate banana plants

I've gotten the looks from the neighbors, some have commented, even the HOA has mailed letters. People ask if they attract bugs or what will happen in a hurricane, things like that...
Now, on the other hand, some neighbors stop to chat and express a positive interest, some of them that were previously upset are now liking it.
In the winter when the plants aren't looking tip top (burns and maybe a lil shredded), thats can be when some people's moods change though.
I think that if you maintain them and set a good example and show people that it can be done beautifully, the neighborhood commando team will either leave you alone or even try to be friendly.
My situation is still a little different though because my fiancee and I are much younger than the rest of the neighborhood, so there's already weird vibes there when it comes to being accepted by some of the neighbors. (They can't understand how people [well, it was just me at the time] half their age manage to move into the neighborhood.) The banana/jungle situation builds on that...
Some people are so boring... if they don't create a nice atmosphere around their homes, and surround themselves with beauty, it makes you wonder how they care for other aspects of their life...
It's difficult when different types of people mix and live in close proximity. Sometimes I wish I bought "that other house" with no HOA.