View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
stevelau1911

BananaBucks : 144,631
Said "Thanks" 51 Times
Was Thanked 558 Times in 256 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 24 Times
Default Re: Germinating tree peony seeds

Another lesson I've learned about growing TP seeds is that they need to be planted a few inches deep to avoid getting washed up during the rain since some of the more shallow ones are coming up. Having them planted too close to the surface also makes them prone to freezes so I might have to add a little bit of leaf mulch to protect these guys. On some of them with plain out exposed roots, I had to add more soil over it to protect it for winter.

The fresh seeds that are barely below the surface seem to have some germinating already since soil temperatures are dropping through the 50s now for november, and perhaps more will break their dormancy through december, but with a couple thousand seeds in the ground, I do expect a few hundred to germinate next year. I believe that all of the ones that break their dormancy in the fall are the ones that will end up turning into healthy seedlings next spring. They are pretty intersting seeds because some of them will make roots within a couple of weeks while others may take a couple years to come out of dormancy depending on the freshness, species and time of year they are planted.

The ones that break their dormancy in the spring might not thrive, or may have to wait until the following season the sprout leaves. I currently have probably a couple dozen species of TP seeds in my garden beds from multiple sources so it will be very fun to see what comes up.

my picture website is http://www.flickr.com/photos/31489820@N02/

http://stevespeonygarden.blogspot.com/

Last edited by stevelau1911 : 11-13-2011 at 06:31 PM.
stevelau1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To stevelau1911
Said thanks: