View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
lcweber69
greenpassion

Zone: z5
Name: greenpassion
BananaBucks : 16,777
Said "Thanks" 30 Times
Was Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Joy Re: Need advice to grow a banana plant indoors all winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
If you decide to overwinter the plant actively (water it, put it in a sunny spot), you will most probably encounter the problem of insufficient light. It simply isn't possible to provide the plant with as much light as it would require, so one way or another, it will be partially dormant... growing inproper and low quality leaves and tissue. Needless to say that it's close to impossible to make these new leaves wanna like the sunlight in spring again...

The very concept of growing indoors and in/outdoors seasonally is very difficult. In general, keep your eyes open and don't water too much. The naner needs very little water when inside during the winter, but it needs lots of water when it's outside in the garden during the summer. Less is more in this case. Good growing to you.
I did overwinter my nanners indoors and they did a little too well actually. What I mean is that I had taken and potted up some basjoos pups (5) from a mother plant, who I'd left out on my deck to sucumb to the cold, (she was just too big to get the pot inside) I put them under T5 lights in my studio. I have no decent natural light to speak of, and it's only my studio as I have no other space to paint in. Anyway, I digress. These basjoo pups were initally around 1 1/2 ft tall, and by March of 2011, they were too tall to be under the T5's without the leaves pushing against the light fixtures. Around 4ft or so. They all put out new leaf after new leaf. I also had a huge Ensete Maurelli, that was way to big to be under any light fixtures at all, and I had her over next to the only decent sized window I had, facing east. This plant initally put out several new leaves, pushing up against the ceiling. Eventually though, just prior to spring, it began to show signs of suffering. Despite this, by May, all had survived, most had flourished, and I had 6 very large plants potted on my deck this summer. The basjoos all had pups of course. This winter I am storing them all bare root in my basement. I have no experience with this, but I have faith!
lcweber69 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To lcweber69
Said thanks: