View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Darkman
Dirt Master

Zone: 8b/9a
Name: Darkman
BananaBucks : 204,521
Said "Thanks" 9,263 Times
Was Thanked 1,582 Times in 702 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 243 Times
Default Re: Early picking a green hand to ripen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
I cut three bananas off on October 12 after I wrote the above quote. I did not bag them as I wanted to use them as a test group. Today two of the tree are about 25% yellow and feel a little softer. The ones one the tree are still green. I'll update as the three progress. My next cut will be four bananas of which two I'll bag and two just lay on the counter.

I also cut the terminal bud flower off this bunch today. It was about three foot longer than he last hand. I had been leaving it since it has been providing food for all kinds of bees, wasps and I think I even saw a hummer on one.
On October 25 I ate my first home grown banana from the Orinoco bunch that follewered June 1st. I found it to be firm with a good sweetness. It was not coarse textured like store bought and had a creamy mouth feel. I will eat another one to day and compare.

Today I will cut the four that I mentioned above and start that trial.

I noticed that the ones still on the tree are still swelling and appear to be elongating some more even though when I cut the first three I felt they had completely filled out.

The October flowering bunch are filling out but they have a long way to go.

AS ALWAYS IMHO AND YOUR MILEAGE MAY DIFFER!!!!!!!!

Life - Some assembly required, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Data that analyst twist to support the insane opinions of those that pay them.
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Darkman
Said thanks: