View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Natureboy

Zone: 9B
Name: Nate
BananaBucks : 46,131
Said "Thanks" 124 Times
Was Thanked 138 Times in 59 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 7 Times
Default Re: Panama Disease ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
There are no signs of Panama Disease there, and you are correct that 'Goldfinger' is resistant to all of the race's which affect banana. If it was Panama Disease (which it's not), removing the plant would really not help to save your other plants as it is a disease which lives in the soil primarily, not in the plant.

However, the plant was flowering when you cut it. Perhaps the flowering was interrupted and aborted for some reason and so that's why the plant decayed.
Thanks, Gabe. I suppose you know that it would have pushed up a flower due to the central core evident in the pic? If it was flowering, the bananas would not have made it through the winter in my region anyway...

I planted this Goldfinger clump differently than the rest of my various bananas. Whereas the rest of my bananas are along a fence line or on the south side of my house, I planted this one on the north side of my house. The only reason for doing so was that I had some space there and I wanted to utilize it. It gets full sun all summer, but is mostly shaded by the house the rest of the year. Maybe that has something to do with it. I suppose it could also be insufficient nutrients or a hundred other reasons...

I agree that apart from the yellowing of the lower leaves, it doesn't seem to exhibit internal signs of Fusarium Wilt. (heavy sigh of relief)

Current varieties: Dwarf Namwah, FHIA-03 (Sweetheart), White Iholena, Maoli, Orinoco, Manzano (Apple), Praying Hands, Dwarf Brazilian, Pisang Raja, Rajapuri, Ice Cream (Blue Java), FHIA-01 (Goldfinger), Kandarian

Last edited by Natureboy : 10-11-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Natureboy is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Natureboy
Said thanks: