Thread: Watering
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Yug

Zone: 10-11
Name: Knobby D. Holme
BananaBucks : 57,565
Said "Thanks" 4,009 Times
Was Thanked 1,742 Times in 812 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 463 Times
Default Re: Watering

I'd say that depends on the size, the soil conditions (clay, loam, sand), whether potted or not, the weather, time of day, the season, if you have any constant breeze drawing away moisture, etc. I know that is probably not much help, but that is how I judge it. If I'm not sure, I look to see if the blades of the leaf (the ones that are mostly horizontal) are kind of hanging limp from the midrib so it appears flat and folded in half - if they are just hanging, I water; if they are sticking out more, then I generally water sparingly, or just leave them alone. Early in the day, though, they have had time to absorb some moisture from the surrrounding media all night so they tend to look more perky, but after a long hot day they will droop before night due to water loss through the leaves. I don't like to water in the evening since, for my orchids, this can promote growth of fungus, and I treat the 'nanners the same. If it was getting on toward evening, and I had to water an obviously dry 'nanner, I'd water sparingly around the base, but would want to avoid getting any on the leaves and the base of the p-stem to prevent any fungus probs. In other words, I would not just spray the entire plant. Is this too cautious? I don't know.
Yug is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Yug
Said thanks: