Thread: papaya X-77
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Chance1945

Zone: 9
Name: Terry
BananaBucks : 79,292
Said "Thanks" 140 Times
Was Thanked 220 Times in 129 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 58 Times
Default Re: Dwarf papaya X-77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yug View Post
I'll see if I can get a pic.

When I see the term 'dwarf' that has a specific meaning as far as I'm concerned. I would not call a Bonsai tree a dwarf, since it has merely been dwarfed by a culture method that requires severe root trimming, and very restrictive feeding. If treated normally, it will revert to a more normal growth pattern. It is not a natural dwarf. If a papaya has its growth limited due to weather conditions, it is dwarfed by them, but it is not a natural dwarf. When I see something called a dwarf, to me this means that it IS a natural dwarf, and it is supposed to grow that way regardless of weather or feeding limitations. If a Super Dwarf Cavendish or a Truly Tiny is given 2 or more years of great weather, and proper feeding/fertilizing it is still a dwarf due to its genetics. Others may not give a rip one way or another, but others may be confused/misled. I was just curious that there may actually BE a dwarf of the X-77. If you purchased a banana, and were told that it was a dwarf, yet when you grew it it turned out to be something other than what it was presented as, would you care? Maybe you would not, but no doubt some people would. I would propose that an X-77 would merely be called 'short' (due to limited growing period), and not 'dwarf' to avoid misunderstandings.

After a more thorough reading of all the posts in this thread - it appears I was not the only one confused.
Yug, you need to get a grip. He's not SELLING these seeds, he's graciously GIVING them away.
Chance1945 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chance1945