View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Narnia

Zone: Zone 10
Name: Veronica
BananaBucks : 115,912
Said "Thanks" 1,138 Times
Was Thanked 396 Times in 159 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 425 Times
Default Re: Is their a Chook doctor in the house?

[quote=sunniesbloomers;173626]Do you have enough space in the chicken house. Sometimes, if they are over crowded, they will attach each other. Also, put a red light inside the house at night. (Full grown hens should have about 5 sf for each bird. You didn't mention the age of your chooks.....

Do you have a product called Blue Kote? You can purchase it where you buy your feed. The injured hen should be treated as soon as possible. They sometimes will peck themselves at the injured site. The Blue Kote will cover the area and will speed up healing. Some folks also put heavy black oil on chicken injuries. I prefer the former, since it's made for wounds. I would also put her on an antibiotic, which can be purchased at your feed store. Another good thing would be to add an electrolyte to her drinking water. Make sure she's drinking really good.

Good Luck! I hope your little injured hen will be OK.[/QUOTE

Re availability of Blue Cote:Probably the Blue Cote will have a different name here but the same ingredence. I'll try to get an antibotic. It looks like we'lle needing a chook first-aid kit. Theres no electricity in the chook yard or shed.
Can you suggest another way for a red light? Thanks for your help.
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Narnia