View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Narnia

Zone: Zone 10
Name: Veronica
BananaBucks : 116,061
Said "Thanks" 1,138 Times
Was Thanked 396 Times in 159 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 425 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob3 View Post
There's a "natural instinct" for some flocking birds to peck at, or flat out kill, any member of the flock that is perceived as injured or otherwise "different".

When I was raising baby chicks we would put little red circles with crayon on boards tied to the side of their incubator so they could exercise this annoying habit, without pecking their siblings to death.

You should remove the afflicted bird/s immediately & isolate them 'till wounds have had a chance to heal; more importantly 'till any "spot" or other abnormality or discoloration has disappeared.

... and take a couple boards (or even a cardboard box) & put little 1/2" red spots on them so the rest of the critters can peck themselves dizzy in the meanwhile.
Thanks for the boards/box with red dots solution.I hope "the girls" go for it. At the moment all we have as an infirmary is a make shift fence enclosure within the run.
In the pen,I think they have enough room. In a day or two they will be let out to free range for a few hours in the afternoons the padock out side is about 2 or 3 acresThe fenced chook pen is about 80 X 30 yards.
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Narnia