View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Steve in France

Zone: zone: it says 6 to 8
Name: Steve in France
BananaBucks : 108,273
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 52 Times in 28 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: bringing stuff indoors...

I had the best luck keeping plants almost dormant to dormant . In France I placed all my plants in a cool room ( around 50 f ) with a big Window and I watered to keep the compost barly moist to almost dry. It's a real balaning act in the end. This year with all new climate and conditions here in Bethesda Lord knows how I'm going to do it. My best advise is to watch your plants and adjust conditions to keep them going. Any plant that you think you are really losing the battle with can be moved to a warm Sunny room and encouraged to start regrowing , sometimes that's the only way to keep a treasured plant alive. Smaller Musa and such need to be kept growing a little in my experience or they will not make it. There is much more Brain work involved in keeping your plants alive in the Winter.
A tip is , if Red Spider Mite make a major appearance then put the plant in the Shower and shower it with warm water to get as much of the RSM off as possible, this also cleans dust off the plant and helps it absorb more of the available light. Sometimes I repeat the shower after a few days. You just have to keep them ticking over until the warm weather comes back , it's a challenge
Hope this helps.
Later
Steve