View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
BigBananaBoy
Loa mai'a Boe

Zone: 9-11
Name: Big Tony
BananaBucks : 41,571
Said "Thanks" 253 Times
Was Thanked 338 Times in 133 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 83 Times
Thumbs up Re: Need Help Identifying and getting this Plantain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
There are so many banana varieties, each with many different names depending on the region it is being grown in. I doubt you would be able to find a synonym with a variety you can easily purchase. 'Curarre Rosado' is the name, so you have already ID'd it, it's just probably not one of the (very few) varieties available in the hobby market. It is definitely a plantain, which makes finding a plant even less likely as there are very few plantain cultivars available in the hobby market.

The way to get it would be to find a contact in Costa Rica who knows bananas well, get a USDA import permit, and try to get it shipped over.

Below is just a little information I could find mentioning this variety.

"The curarre pink is still spreading in some areas such as San Carlos. This variety is more susceptible to pests and diseases and less rustic than white, his crop has decreased but has a better flavor."

"Banana Curraré dwarf. Corresponds to a mutation of the giant Curraré the characteristics of transport that develops, which is usually 250 cm. It is precisely this feature that is prized because it is less susceptible to tipping, damage by the winds, and to facilitate the work of harvesting and periodic control of Black Sigatoka. The fruit of this clone is presented in large clusters and fruit equally conspicuous. Within this range it is possible to mention Curraré pink and white named for the color of flesh they develop."

"It is important to know the characteristics that the national consumer considers important for a product such as variety, shape, size, ripeness, appearance of the skin, flesh color (which can differentiate varieties) and flavor. All these features meet the Curraré pink, white Curraré followed. Unfortunately, two of the varieties are more susceptible to lodging and Black Sigatoka, especially the pink is considered the best eating quality."
Thanks for the info Gabe, I was hoping someone on the board might have grown this under a different name. I will check further with Costa Rican growers and see if its possible to get it here in the US. The taste of this plantain is incredible.

Go Ahead Take My Banana!

BigBananaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To BigBananaBoy