View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
oakshadows

Zone: 9b
Name: Noah
BananaBucks : 37,995
Said "Thanks" 2,207 Times
Was Thanked 847 Times in 514 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 437 Times
Default Re: Can someone post a tc guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
Tissue culture is a rather complex process. It's not difficult if you know what you are doing, but to explain every detail in writing would take a very long time, and still be very confusing. More importantly, tissue culture is not unique to bananas at all, so any guides you find about tissue culturing bananas will be more on the specifics of banana in tissue culture, but it will not explain all of the really basic tissue culture things. I recommend you do some research on tissue culture in general, do not even think about bananas at first, and once you understand what it involves and get an idea of how it works, then focus on what is needed specifically for bananas.

My personal feeling is that unless you need to make over 1000 plants, tissue culture is not the best option for the hobbyist looking to propagate. It's fun and interesting and has many non-propagation uses, but if you are just looking to multiply the plants you have, it can be expensive, time consuming, confusing and might not meet your needs.

I have a great tissue culture alternative which I plan to share with the group soon. I am making a fully illustrated guide on techniques that can allow the hobbyist to produce many (not as much as tissue culture but more than enough for the average hobbyist) cloned banana plants in a much cheaper, quicker and easier fashion than with tissue culture.
Very interestng, did it happen yet ? Following most of your posts I think this will be one to surely want to see.
Thanks

Click for Dunnellon, Florida Forecast
oakshadows is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To oakshadows