Thread: Not Ice Cream
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #33 (permalink)
sunfish
Banned

Zone: 9-11
Name: Tony
BananaBucks : 938,520
Said "Thanks" 3,210 Times
Was Thanked 20,591 Times in 7,760 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,716 Times
Default Re: Not Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
It is not any FHIA cultivar or Cavendish.

It could be either the common "Misi Luki" in the US (which is not the real 'Misi Luki'), or it actually could be an 'Ice Cream' or 'Namwah'. Persistent flowers are not always consistent on the same clone in different conditions. The reason it's a bit confusing is because I'm starting to think the 'Ice Cream' commonly sold on the mainland is not the same clone as in Hawaii (which I am used to seeing). The mainland 'Ice Cream' seems to be some type of Pisang Awak (Namwah), but the Hawaii form is a little different in the fruit shape and bud shape and color. However, even the Hawaii 'Ice Cream' seems to be closely related to Pisang Awak types. The waxy bluish color of the fruit on 'Ice Cream' is common, but not a reliable way to ID as it is variable depending on conditions, almost totally absent in certain situations. Height is also a very variable trait depending on conditions and age of the plant.

So my best guess would either be that you do have the 'Ice Cream' clone as is known on the mainland (not the Hawaii clone), or the Agri-Starts "Misi Luki". They both seem to be different varieties of Pisang Awak, so are very similar. I have seen what appears to be the Hawaii type clone of 'Ice Cream' in California at Quail Botanic Gardens, but it does not appear to be your plant. But if you post more photos as the fruit matures, we might be able to narrow it down.
Thank You Sir
sunfish is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sunfish