View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
iz

Zone: Zone 8
Name: iz
BananaBucks : 40,885
Said "Thanks" 66 Times
Was Thanked 54 Times in 38 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 10 Times
Default Re: complaining about the weather!!!!

I have a garden vegetables with raised bed thats doing ok; have long purple green beans(so productive), long green beans, tomatoes, pumpkins, green/purple okras(very productive in heat), sweet potatoes(loves heat), watermelons, celantros, garlic, onions, leeks, cassava-tapioca, strawberries, bittermelons, varieties of peppers, asparagus(very productive-just keep cutting them), indian cucumber-ivy gourd, 10 bananas(ground and pots), drumstick tree-best green veg(moringa oleifera & moringa stenep), papayas, santols, calamandin-calamansi, lemon meyer, water spinach, pamello, lemon grass, rice..

No rain for the past month( although it misted 2 days ago for only 30 minutes with blazing humid heat). It has been so hot with dry heat- average 104 degrees(highest 108) in dallas for like straigh 18 days now. What really helps from the blazing heat and annoying weeds is to have the plants/vegetables planted in a raised bed with good soil. I have mixture of miracle grow soils, bm7 soil that has composed barks and perlite for drainage. The bottom is clayey, so mixing the mixture soil really helps. The only time I buy vegetables in the store this summer is corn- that is if its considered a vegetable. Oh, and as for watering in hot summer days I water them in the morning, not during the day when its hot because of the quick evaporation. If time permits, maybe at night too. As for my tropical fruits and vegetables that grows in pots, I water them early morning too, but not at night for it may cause root rot. Learned that the hard way about my container papayas; also they dont like sitting on watered tray and they need good aeration or it will be the death of them.

Hope this helped. Happy planting.