Thread: Bsv?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Kostas

Zone: 10a
Name: Konstantinos
BananaBucks : 217,067
Said "Thanks" 2,137 Times
Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 464 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Kostas
Default Re: Bsv?

Yet another thread with similar questions,unfortunately always ending up unanswered...

Basjoo with white streaked leaves

And here is a thread about Mitchel's Pisang Klotek randomly growing a pup with the same streaks as ours. And the pup of this pup had the same pattern on its leafs as well.

Variegated Pisang Klotek

Reading all these cases so far,its getting clearer that this ''variegation'' is probably not from nutrient deficiency but for either a random mutation taking place,or from the BSV sequence present in the B genome getting activated for some reason. But,reading the thread about Musa basjoo developing these streaks,if it was BSV,it could only be present in these plantlets through infection from another banana or the donor plant multiplicated. However,only 2 of the plantlets supposedly showed these streaks which would not happen i think in the case of a virus. If a virus was present,it would probably infect all plantlets and cause that streaking. So,i am leaning towards it being a random mutation,something i cant verify though without a virus indexing of my pups. Still,if this is a mutation and the pups dont grow out of it nor produce normal pups,that would still be a problem,although a less serious one as the risk of transmission wont exist...

Looking forward to your thoughts,suggestions and personal experiences! I am particularly interested to know if anyone of you had a banana with similar patterning on its leafs,grow out of this or produce fully normal pups.

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited by Kostas : 06-28-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Kostas

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors