View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
johndeltav

BananaBucks : 5,439
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: My Coconut palm from supermarket! (help)

[quote=Musa_Cavandish;16546]Well i've taken 2 photos of the coconut i've been interested into the very tropical palms and "Cocos Nucifera" seemed to be the best idea too me. yes i know the "project" idea is risky for my weather so don't lecture about it! Thanks. well heres two pictures Any ideas or photos of your own would help!

coconuts will sometimes germinate but (removal of the husk) makes this unlikely. Fresh seeds should be placed on damp peat with the broadest surface downwards at a temperature of 24-27°C. The seed germinates slowly, taking up to 4 months before the shoot appears. During germination, the single cotyledon (seed leaf) grows inside the seed cavity. Its sheath protects the seedling root and shoot and grows with them through the softest of the three eyes at the base of the shell. Part of the cotyledon, the coconut apple, enlarges into the cavity inside the coconut and absorbs nutrients from the endosperm and coconut water. Because the seedling has access to this food source, it can grow for some time before making contact with the soil.

Seedlings still attached to the coconut can be obtained from some suppliers. These will survive for a few years but do not make ideal house plants as they require constant high humidity and temperatures. They should be grown on a well-drained sandy soil rich in lime and potash. Seedlings with the seed attached should not be transplanted until the connection with the seed has shrivelled. In containers coconuts may be expected to reach up to 2 m in height with pinnate leaves of a similar length.

This article comes from Kew the Royal Botanic Garden. It hard to tell by the picture but I don't see the husk on your seed. john
johndeltav is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To johndeltav
Sponsors