View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
ron_mcb
PlantamAAn

Zone: 8
BananaBucks : 94,483
Said "Thanks" 396 Times
Was Thanked 496 Times in 242 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 25 Times
Default Re: Gran Nain and Dwarf Cavendish

im the guy who edited the wiki.

ive documented a little in my pic gallery but i decided to share it on the wiki.

both gran nain and dwarf Cavendish may be stout and have some red and random dark speckles,but every gran nain i have seen has had a more distinctive red or rusty stout p stem from a pup until adult stage.. i have grown a few dwarf Cavendish and gran nain from different sources side by side and have observed a few differences. i decided to save people the head ache and confusion trying to tell them apart.

the first pic in the wiki by taylor is a perfect example of a gran nain pup.. it has dark red/rust base there are random dark speckles .. that is definitely not dwarf Cavendish.

the real difference is shown at flowering stage. ron/dutchman you are the guy that put the gran nain pic up in the wiki right?? almost all of the gran nain in the pic are de-belled.. i must have looked at that pic lots of times and never noticed the in tact flower in the right hand side of the pic. i dont know how i could have overlooked it.. but that pic is showing authentic gran nain like the ones in my pic.. i went thru the trouble of getting one to fruit myself before i noticed it. the flower is different from dwarf Cavendish. the male flowers on gran nain tend to fall off. Cavendish flowers tend to cling. look at em and tell me what u think. if anyone has found anything significant to prove otherwise let me know.

Last edited by ron_mcb : 06-08-2011 at 10:16 AM.
ron_mcb is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To ron_mcb
Said thanks: