Thread: Good Fert
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
varig8

Zone: 10-11
Name: varig8
BananaBucks : 42,377
Said "Thanks" 74 Times
Was Thanked 383 Times in 144 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Re: Good Fert

Well, I do know enough about plants that there isnt much difference between Wild type bananas and hybridized banana plants, they are after all still Musa and have basically the same care as any of the regular varieties grown in the average landscape. I figure if it isnt broken, why fix it? Ive been growing Musa in Florida for the past 15 yrs and in the Caribbean for the prior 15. Have grown lots of the 'wild' types Ive collected in forests and islands, and pretty much close to all the available varieties commercially. Probably have one of the largest collections of variegated varieties too. I DO not grow commercially for fruit production, so I recognize there is a huge difference if that is your goal. Big farms will feed tons of chemical ferts to get a high yield. For the typical backyard collector, you can well get away without any fertilizers ever if planted in a a soil that isnt unusually deficient in some way. It sounded to me like you were originally interested in something organic vs. chemical.
varig8 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To varig8
Said thanks: