View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Skids

BananaBucks : 10,306
Said "Thanks" 8 Times
Was Thanked 44 Times in 18 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 30 Times
Default Re: Suggestions for protecting my plants

Here's an update on my plants.

The bananas have grown since the last photos. Until a few days ago we had quite warm conditions with new leaves all over the place. Last night was the first frost of the winter. A bit early and apparently one of the colder may nights on record. I woke up early and sprayed the plants with water from the garden hose. I've build a small wood-fired heating thingy that is basically re-routes some of the heat from a small fire through some metal pipe which has holes in it. This pipe has been placed near the base of the plants. The original idea was a rocket heater that I saw on the internet.

Anyway, overall it seemed to work. The plants had grown so big that I couldn't cover them and being a pyromaniac I jumped at the chance to try fire. The only part of the plants that seems to have frost damage was a meter (3') above the ground where the air coming out of the pipe has no effect. The water here froze on the leaves here. The damage seems minimal. I've posted some photos below. I need to improve the system because I was up for 3 hours before sunrise this morning trying to ward off the frost. But I do love my bananas and won't let those pseudo-stems die without a fight.

Skids is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Skids
Said thanks: