View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
cheson74
Aloha

Zone: 12a
BananaBucks : 55,844
Said "Thanks" 254 Times
Was Thanked 491 Times in 145 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 7 Times
Default Re: Fertilizers and soil amendments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
The "big guys" can always put you under with cheap ornamentals. However, serious gardeners are particular about where they get their "edibles" and nutrients for them. You are a prime example. You could easily master the 1000 herbs, veggies, and fruits that perform in your area and become an expert in the nutrients for them as well. Skip the 14,000 varieties of ornamentals and leave them for the box stores.

Richard is correct. I've seen people spend $10-100 at the big box stores but when I go to the local nursery, people typically will spend several hundred dollars to buy quality plants. It also helps talking to people that know what they are talking about!

I buy all my annuals from the same place. They are much pricier than the big chains but the quality is so much better!

I bought Basjoos from the local nursery last year and they ended up growing to 8' with our short growing season. I also bought 3 weakling tissue cultures online coz they were so cheap. Needless to say, you get what you pay for. The TC ended up fine with some TLC but only got to 4'. I didn't trust them in the ground and overwintered them indoors.