View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #76 (permalink)
ImperialExotics

BananaBucks : 26,017
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 65 Times in 34 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Florida Hill Nursery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong View Post
I concur with your assertions on the viability and adaptability of TC plants. However, adaptation of a week or two is a bit of a stretch. I've grown hundreds of TC'd bananas, and dozens and dozens of pups, and found that the pups grow faster than the TCs. Now, mind you, I talking about growing them in pots in a greenhouse, since I live in Seattle, WA. Growing TCs in controlled environment would definitely increase their viability and adaptability. But not everyone has this luxury. On the other hand, pups can take a certain amount of abuse that would otherwise destroy TC'd banana seedlings.

To clarify here.......

A grower, for sake of discussion we will use Agri-Starts as our example since they were mentioned previously.... and we all know that is where the vendor who was the subject of the thread gets his plants...

Anyways, the grower/lab will put their plants through a hardening off period before they sell them to a distributor. Usually a minimum of two weeks. A number I find works perfectly well for many species, in my case Jewel Orchids.

By the time the hobbyist gets the plants, they have been out of culture, out of the lab, and out of any specialized humidity enclosures for an average of at least 3 weeks. Longer if you are getting a plant advertised as being 6-16 inches.

For the end user just receiving plants from a dealer, like the first post I responded to, The end user/customer taking a two week period so as to take extra care in acclimating their new plants, combined with the time they have already been out in a greenhouse/grow house should in MOST cases be more than sufficient.
ImperialExotics is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To ImperialExotics

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors