View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Eric-Orlando,FL

BananaBucks : 97,150
Said "Thanks" 5 Times
Was Thanked 119 Times in 28 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Musa ornata "Milky Way" heading toward extinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm_Farmer View Post
Whoa now, New Zealand IDK but there is a Garden in Orlando, FL that grows this one. It was not in flower when I was there. Now that I know its so rare ill bring a razor knife and baggie with me.

I hate to be a wet blanket but this comment has distressed me since I was alerted to it. The removal of plants from a botanical garden without permission is still considered THEFT and AGAINST THE LAW in the United States and Orlando.

We have been wanted to propagate that clump of bananas but it has not been thriving for a few years. It seems to be doing better now but if suckers are STOLEN then this will prove difficult for me to start new plants.

Leu Gardens has been more accessible for the public to obtain cuttings, etc WITH permission, than other botanic gardens. But too often plants have been stolen in the past; cycads, palms, bananas, variegated clivia, roses, etc.

I think most people would agree they would not prefer to have people steal rare plants out of their own yards. This happens too frequently in other botanic gardens and even private collections. Recent cycad thefts in California have shown this. Leu Gardens is owned and operated by the City of Orlando. We are caretakers to the collections but theft makes it even more difficult. It might be just one "little" offshoot but if everyone took one then there would be no garden to maintain.

Now we will be more vigilant about are rare banana plants for thefts. We have enough problems with some bananas here (nematodes, hurricanes, squirrels, etc.) and then worry about theft. A good example was our previous 'Ae Ae' its a difficult enough banana to grow but several times as a new offshoot began to develop, it would promptly disappear. Now we have none.

Encouragement of theft should not be tolerated. Leu Gardens does not tolerate it lightly either and neither should the Moderaters in this forum.
Said thanks: