View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 AM   #40 (permalink)
musaboru

Zone: 9b
Name: Dar
BananaBucks : 88,418
Said "Thanks" 328 Times
Was Thanked 262 Times in 105 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Florida Hill Nursery?

I ordered from Florida Hill last fall. I got a Glui Kai, Siam Ruby and FHIA 18 also. And the plants I received were not that different from Wellsprings that I've ordered in the past.

You get what you pay for. With both of these sellers, you are getting TC plants and IMO are not particularly vigorous no matter what. Especially when they are grown in puny containers. It's just as bad if they have been there for months are are extremely root bound or still have a weak root system. In my experience, they require extra care and attention or else they can die on you.

If banana sellers would bother repotting these TC plants into band pots or 1 gallon and sell them for like 5 dollars more, then this would be so much better for survival rate than those tiny 2 inch or so pots.

With that said, I would still buy these TC plants because they're so cheap and worth the risk for me. I've lost many but I didn't pay that much for them either. There are more expensive sources and for quality, you get what you pay for.

Also, I'm not saying these vendors are bad people. I'm glad they are there to give us more choices to buy. They ship fast and I get my stuff. Wellspring even replaced a banana which I strongly believe was the wrong plant for free. So...

One more thing: I figured out growing them in a drip system (hydroponics) will perk them up really good and produce good root growth. But I'm not sure how they'll respond when you transfer them back to growing in soil...

Last edited by musaboru : 03-29-2011 at 01:02 AM.
musaboru is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To musaboru
Said thanks: