Thread: Musa Campestris
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Clinton3666

BananaBucks : 88,005
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 63 Times in 33 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Smile Re: Musa Campestris

Hi Markku,
Wow ! Interesting.

Which subspecies of musa campestris in your box full of seedlings ???

I had five 1-year-old musa campestris var limbangensis, from last year's 100 seeds, in my unheated hothouse ( I replied on heat from sun & bubblewrap).
These seeds took 20 to 60 days to germinate, with most took between 20 and 30 days.
This year I have seeds of musa campestris var miriensis, sarawakensis, campestris and musa hirta, but this morning they only just start to germinate, and due to seeds been in rarepalmseeds.com for nearly 2 past years, they may take next more 6 weeks or longer.
I worried about them not make through winter in my country, as last winter killed 95 seedlings, left me with 5 plants.
My 1-year-old musa campestris is now 40-50 c.m. in height, with big leaves.
My gardens is in zone 10, with 10 frosts a year.

For you, your seedlings of musa campestris will reach 50 c.m. in height in 6 months time. Musa campestris are slow growers.

I have 2 photos of musa campestris now in Banana.org members"s gallaries, you are welcome to look at my photoes.

Cheers

Clinton Care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markku Hakkinen View Post

Hi,
Musa campestris seeds are normally germinating easily. The germination depends on how fresh the seeds are. Dormant seeds takes longer to germinate. For example I have showed 100 seeds in vermiculite. The first flush germinated some 30 seeds within three weeks. In the second flush some 20 seeds after few months, etc.
Markku.
Clinton3666 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Clinton3666
Said thanks: