View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
SilkKnoll

Zone: 8
Name: Robert
BananaBucks : 2,814
Said "Thanks" 28 Times
Was Thanked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Florida Hill Nursery?

I considered ordering from them but noticed, as you did, all the earmarks of a TC reseller: the description and charts lifted entirely from AgriStarts, heights something like "may be 4-16 inches tall."

I wrote to Florida Hill with enough questions to confirm that they are turning them around as quickly as possible after receiving the liner trays. A trading friend bought some elephant ears from them and said they were tiny. I don't know if they survived.

I've had bad luck with "test tube babies" because they are in transition from sterile laboratory conditions, and, without special handling (sanitizing soil with products that kill common bacteria, etc.), they are quite fragile and vulnerable to rotting.

I do not have anything approximating a sterile environment for them, and, despite the hundreds of dollars I've wasted on them, I have still not developed an instinct of when and how to begin to introduce them to a more normal setting without traumatizing (killing) them.

On the other hand, if you can pull it off, you can save some money.

If I suspect someone is reselling TCs with a quick turnaround, I always ask, and I won't buy plants sooner than two months after having been received as liner plugs, and I make sure they're currently growing in normal greenhouse or (preferably) outdoor conditions.

There's no cost benefit in buying DOAs.

Last edited by SilkKnoll : 03-05-2011 at 02:22 AM.
SilkKnoll is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To SilkKnoll
Said thanks: