View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Worm_Farmer

Zone: 9b
Name: Mike
BananaBucks : 44,116
Said "Thanks" 5,326 Times
Was Thanked 1,830 Times in 679 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,866 Times
Send a message via AIM to Worm_Farmer
Default Re: Flow through Worm Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
Worm Farmer,

After a while does the castings start falling through? What keeps the worms from falling out? Do you have to shake it? Do you just keep throwing waste on top for the worms to eat?
The type of worms I am using(red wiggler or Eisenia fetida) are know as composting worms. Because for the most part they will keep moving up chasing their food supply. They also will not really want to travel outside the the "Habitat" I have created for them. Because this is an open air design if a worm pokes his head down into the lower half he will want to move back up. As there is no food or bedding from him, the air will be dry and light also leaks in. Of coarse there will likely be some that do fall out the bottom and craw out of the bin. Once the system really gets going I should not be at risk any longer of this happening as the worms will stay toward the top half.

As the castings finish and dry they should fall out on their own, or at least is the theory. I should not have to shake it but this is my 1st time using a flow through system so we will see how it really works out. As for shaking it you have read my mind. I have been thinking when it comes time to replace this one I need to find a way to make the entire middle grate movable. I would only need 2" of movement, I'm pretty sure I will be able to figure something out. I was also thinking the next version should also be made of starboard or some type of plastic that will not break down and last much longer.

Yes, I will just keep adding waste into the top. I have been adding a lot of shredded paper and cardboard, banana stalks and leafs, kitchen waste, and Horse manure mix with hay and wood chips. Right now the worm populous seems very happy with their new home. I do not have enough worms to really fill the box and get this going faster. But by mid summer I'm expecting I will be able to start harvesting or at least I hope.

The best part about harvesting for me is that all I will have to do now is scoop out the finished product, screen it and start using it. Seems like it will take out some of the work involved with harvesting worms right now, as I have been using plastic bins. Plastic bins do work good I have been using them for a long time now but harvesting is a real pain and the bins always seem to wet, making harvesting that much more time consuming.
Worm_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Worm_Farmer
Said thanks: