View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
lin 842

Zone: 7-8
Name: Lin
BananaBucks : 1,983
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: A banana without name

Quote:
Originally Posted by asacomm View Post
Thanks, Yug anyway.
Well this is pretty cool, my first day here and I already almost have a answer to my question too. It seems I have a plant that is almost exactly like the one you have only mine grows a little taller. I have had this plant for almost 20 years. Well maybe not the same one but I keep getting new ones off the older plants every year and have been supplying the neighborhood and family for all these years. It's a beautiful plant and over the period of time I have had it I have gotten them to flower twice.

I live in Va and the winters can be really hard on plants like these. I have in the past been digging them up in the fall and putting them under the house until spring and it takes about three years sometimes four for them to flower and it seems it is awful hard to to get the timing right so that they come to full bloom and make fruit in a single year once they start. I have one under my house right now that is almost 12' and hopefully it will do its thing this year because I don't know if I will be able to get it back under the house again because of it's size and weight.

I have been wondering myself what type plant this is and the reason I signed up here and paid the big bucks was because someone on another web site said that if the banana bush had a name I could find it out here. So now we have two people with the same problem and I have this big mother plant along with 5 new babies that are almost ready to be put back out in the garden and they desperately want to know where their roots came from. So Bob and Roberto just want do as I normally already name my plants Lenny and squiggy or Laverne and Shirley And I even named a batch one time Larry, Moe and Curly. Now I just want to do the politically correct thing and make sure I name them the proper names according to their heritage, we wouldn't want to offend anyone now would we?
lin 842 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To lin 842
Said thanks: