View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
kevensquintana

Zone: 5
BananaBucks : 10,031
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Crafting with Banana leaves/fiber

Tacos de cochinita pibil....my way, for 4 people I use about 3 lbs of lean pork meat. The evening before the meal, dice the pork meat into small pieces (about 1"x1/2" in size). Put about 10 oz of annatto paste (achiote) in a blender with a crushed garlic clove add about 3/4 bottle (11oz) of sour orange juice marinating liquid (naranja agria). This will be your marinade for the pork. The quantities depend on how much you are making, I go by the look, after being mixed in the blender it should look like runny red mud. Mix this marinade in a bowl with the diced pork (use rubber gloves or you will have orange fingers). Leave it in the fridge over night. To cook: Line a large pot with BANANA leaves ( I place spoons under so the leaves don't burn) place the diced pork on the leaves, chop some purple onion to cook with the pork. Pour just enough water under the leaves to have about 2" of water in the pot. Cook on a low boil adding water under the leaves to replace evaporation, turning the pork from time to time. When the pork is about ready, heat and slightly brown corn tortillas (no oil), make as many as you will need for your tacos. To serve just scoop some pork meat and marinade out of the pot and place in your browned tortilla, I have sliced limes and sliced habanero peppers to garnish the taco.
Ingredients: Corn tortillas, lean pork meat, clove of garlic, purple onion, limes, Banana leaves, Annatto paste, sour orange juice, habanero peppers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg preparingporc.jpg (44.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg preparingpot.jpg (35.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg bananaleavesinpot.jpg (33.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg readytocook.jpg (29.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg servedwithtortillas.jpg (46.2 KB, 10 views)
kevensquintana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To kevensquintana

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors