View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mauro Gibo
Okinawan Bananeiro

Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
BananaBucks : 74,592
Said "Thanks" 648 Times
Was Thanked 286 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Talking Re: A Basjoo pilgrimage of sorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deruo View Post
I was in Okinawa, Japan this past week and uploaded a few pics in my gallery, but thought I'd link to one of them here.

I thought of all of you while I was there. I could have used my entire memory card on photos but tried to restrain myself.

Most of the plants on the island have VERY tattered leaves from the winds (and I've rarely experienced the heavy rains we had on Monday this week... and I've lived through "super typhoons" before) It's also interesting that though many people have mats of plants on their property or scattered about everywhere, it doesn't seem like they get the love and attention "grooming-wise" that we'd give them here ;-)

The number of plants was nowhere near as populous as they were in Funchal, Portugal when I was there earlier this year (where there were fields full of them), but some of them here were a very good size, as you can see here with a bunch planted next to a one story building on the grounds of Shuri Castle.

I hope you all enjoy!
Hi! The banana in the picture is the musa liukiuensis or ito-bashou, Ryukyu Fiber Banana. The people of Okinawa used to weave kimonos out of the fiber of this banana. It does not produce edible fruit of course, but they are pretty much cold hardy. I have them planted here in zone 9a, Kameyama, Mie Prefecture, Japan. They can survive some frost, even snow.

Last edited by Mauro Gibo : 12-11-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Okinawa is awesome!
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks: