View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 04:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,339,571
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: Colorful, Edible, and Hardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagrower View Post
Any idea about the genome or how it's classified? Is there a similar one available for hobbyists to try?
They all have an AAA genome, normally referred to as the Mutika/Lujugira subgroup which is also commonly known as East African Highland Banana (often abbreviated as EAHB, EAH, AAA-EA, AAA-EAH or something similar), I believe banksii derived but would have to double check that. There are 4 distinct clone sets within the subgroup which are closer related to each other than cultivars in other clone sets within the subgroup. They are a relatively well studied group of bananas and there it lot's of information on them.

A particularly good source of information on them is Dr. Deborah Kamamura's dissertation in which she evaluated and classified almost all of them.
You can download the file here: http://bananas.bioversityinternation...sdkaramura.pdf

I don't believe any of them are available in the US or European hobby market. There is a chance there is one or two down in S. Florida from Bill Lessard's old collection (now Going Bananas Nursery), but it is a bit unclear. I plan on traveling there this upcoming summer and so it will be clearer if there are any there.

Last edited by Gabe15 : 11-29-2010 at 04:06 AM.
Gabe15 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Gabe15
Said thanks: