View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
nph

Zone: 8
BananaBucks : 216,804
Said "Thanks" 22 Times
Was Thanked 365 Times in 173 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default What Dwarf banana?

I have a banana I bought at Costco. The label claimed it was eatable but unfortunately I have lost it.

However it has two strong characteristics:
It is producing pups like there is no tomorrow!
The pups comes up a looong way from the main corm, almost like a runner. It looks like a big root being sent out from the corn and then that is turning into a pup. Similar to the the houseplant Sansevieria trifasciata ("mother in law tongue").

Today when I dug it up, two of the pups were almost half a foot from the main corn. This is a huge contrast to my other bananas such as chinese Yello, Basjoo, Gran Nain and ice Cream. They all produce pups very very close to the mother plants corn making it much harder to separate them from the mother plant.

Any idea what species this can be?
The leaves have no red in them and are actually somewhat pale.
nph is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nph
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors