View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,339,539
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: guide for identifying subgroups?

I'm sure there are some simple guides somewhere, I'll look around my books and notes for some. But I can't recall anything I've read that has been terribly helpful in this matter, it's really all come from looking very closely at many different flowering bananas (in real life) and figuring out what is different, what is significantly different, what similarities are important, and correlating all of that with published information. Also, there is the problem that there are sometimes few commonalities between all cultivars within a subgroup.

The concept of the subgroup itself is not perfect either, and there is more work to be done. In fact, at the last meeting of the Musa Taxonomy Advisory Group, we discussed how subgroups should be defined based on morphology and agreed to begin forming the very thing you are seeking, so perhaps in the future it will be developed. For now, if you look around, you may find some information on specific well known subgroups, particularly the East African Highland Bananas (EAHB), Plantain, Cavendish, Gros Michel and Maoli/Popo'ulu.