View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
venturabananas

Zone: 10
Name: Mark
BananaBucks : 238,188
Said "Thanks" 1,752 Times
Was Thanked 3,968 Times in 1,713 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 39 Times
Default Guide for identifying subgroups?

We are fortunate to have many experts here to help identify bananas, but it sure would be helpful to learn that key characteristics "they" (you might replace "they" with Gabe) use in making identifications. I teach fish taxonomy, so I appreciate that identification can be quite complicated, but I also know that there are key morphological characteristics that you know to look at to narrow things down.

Is there a guide to the characteristics of different subgroups of edible bananas. I understand some of the basic traits that differ between M. acuminata and M. balbisiana, but I really wouldn't know how to distinguish a "Pome" from a "Pisang Awak" from a "Silk".

Anyone know of a guide to banana ID?

Thanks.

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors